[gmx-users] mdrun rerun to large frame numbers

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:47:51 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 3:17 PM Sebastian <
sebastian.buchenberg at physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 07/07/2016 12:53 PM, Mark Abraham wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hmm, that sounds like your very long trajectory is running into some
> > integer exceeding its maximum size. mdrun proper uses a 64-bit integer
> for
> > step number, but doubtless there are dusty corners. Are you able to
> > estimate which frame number this was?
>
> It seems to be a problem of the step number (around 2e+9) to make the
> trouble.

A signed 32-bit integer indeed has a range up to +2e+9, so that confirms my
suspicion.

> What does gmx check say about the
> > very long trajectory?
>
> gmx check works fine. Giving all the outputs I am used to like:
>
> Step  500000
> Coords 500000 ........................
>
> no trouble.
>
> > To work around it, you can probably just use gmx
> > trjconv to break the trajectory into parts, but we'd rather find the
> > problem and fix it :-)
>
> I tried this now it always works for the first half but not for the second.

Shucks. However, that makes me expect that you can probably reproduce the
problem with a very short piece of trajectory that includes a step number >
2^31 = 2147483648. If so, please mail me that trajectory + .tpr + failing
.log file and I can probably fix it quickly once I find which bit is
failing.

Is there a way to change the step number? Since the frame number does
> not seem to produce the error.

I'm not aware of a mechanism, and a quick glance at the code of trjconv and
trjcat didn't suggest anything. I had an idea that gmx trjcat -settime on
the second half might be useful, but I now doubt it will work.

Mark