[gmx-users] Multi GPU Workstation with 4 Way SLI

Nikhil Maroli scinikhil at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 12:14:01 CEST 2016

Dear all,

We have a budget of $12,000. for GPU Workstation. We will be running
Gromacs for MD especially in Membrane protein system.Kindly give the
suggestions for the below

1. Provide me the suggestion for the below configuration /  There will be
any load imbalance with processor and GPU ?,bottleneck problems   ?? or any
modification I have to make such as increasing core /speed of processors
.etc ?

Intel Xeon E5-2620 V4  2.1GHz  8-Core Processor  x  2

C612 Chipset

64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory

GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB  x 4 (4-way SLI)

3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

PS. I have checked new GTX 1070 Card ,unfortunately, it's not supporting
the 4 way SLI (I'm not confidence enough to test the new card )

I have provided sufficient cooling facility and C612 chipset can afford 4
Way SLI.

2. There is another option: PC with 2-way SLI GPU card

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Intel Z170

 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

GeForce GTX 1070 8GB  x 2 (2-Way SLI)

WITH THE ABOVE BUDGET I CAN GET 2 WORKSTATION AS IN OPTION (1 ) AND FOR
OPTION (2 ) I CAN GET THREE IN  NUMBERS AND SAVING SOME MORE MONEY.

Kindly tell me which option is reliable and faster !

Thanks

--
Regards,
Nikhil Maroli