[gmx-users] gmx insert-molecules

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 11 14:25:17 CEST 2016

On 7/11/16 8:15 AM, Dave Michael wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've got a system of 400 water molecules (
> http://md.chem.rug.nl/index.php/example-applications2/solvent-systems) and
> I want to make and simulate a system with 1k, 10k, 100k and 1M particles.
>
> So far, I've done:
> gmx insert-molecules -ci water.gro -o water.gro -box 4.59151 -nmol 400
> -radius 0.05
> (what I've tried doing is double the box volume and double the number of
> particles and it didn't work without -radius 0.05 / default radius doesn't
> add new molecules to the system)

Probably because insert-molecules doesn't understand whatever the particle type
is that it's being provided unless you tell it.  CG types are often not anything
like normal atoms.

> And I got a file with 800 particles, some of them have negative coordinates
> (I presume those are initial coordinates) and no initial velocities.

There are no velocities because insert-molecules doesn't serve that function,
nor would any velocities be meaningful or useful in any way at this stage.

> Running (GROMACS 5.1.2) md on that file doesn't work as the simulation
> hangs @ step 0. Using gmx energy I can see that the total energy and
> temperature are off the scales but the density is fine (990 kg/m^3)

This suggests something is topologically incorrect.  Have you done energy
minimization?

-Justin

> I don't have much experience in the chemical / physical aspects, can you
> please tell me (step by step if possible) what I missed and what should I
> do next?
>
> Dave

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy