[gmx-users] Which computer yields the highest performance per price

Morten morten at slyngborg.com
Tue Jul 12 16:17:04 CEST 2016

Hi,

I am trying to decide which computer to buy. I am primarily running all
atom simulations and MARTINI CG simulations with approximately 200000 or
10000 atoms, respectively. I care manly about through-put and run single
precision. The computers I am considering are:

i7-6700K with GTX970 or GTX1070

i7-6800K with GTX1070

i7-6900K with GTX1080

I think the price scale with the amount of cores rather well, but which
solution would yield the best CPU/GPU balance and highest performance
per price? Of cause this is pretty much speculations as we have no valid
benchmarks yet, but any input is appreciated as I need to buy the
computer soon.

Best regards
Morten