[gmx-users] Surface tension calculation for organic monolayer

gozde ergin gozdeeergin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:11:03 CEST 2016

Dear Spoel,

I am using the protonated form of cis-pinonic acid which means head group is COOH.
I tried many other surface active molecules but never manage to estimate the lower surface tension than water.
Is there anyone here that did the MD simulations with surface active molecules on water and estimated the reduced surface tension?
Any suggestion would be really helpful.
I tried some other force field (GAFF, AMBER, OPLSAA) but results did not change.
I am doing something wrong but I do not know what.

> On 07 Jul 2016, at 17:51, gozde ergin <gozdeeergin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Spoel,
> Thanks for your respond.
> For this simulations I used acids however I got the similar results when I used alcohol (pK values are lower than acids).
> I doubt this error coming from the pH effects.
> But how could i get the protonated molecules configuration?
>> On 07 Jul 2016, at 17:11, David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/07/16 16:06, gozde ergin wrote:
>>> Dear users,
>>>
>>> I simulated three different systems in cubic box and calculated their surface tension as shown below;
>>>
>>> 1. Pure water , surface tension = 61.5 mN/m
>>> 2. Water with 3M NaCl salt, surface tension = 66.5 mN/m