[gmx-users] Using ATB to generate valid topologies

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 13 15:59:59 CEST 2016

On 7/13/16 9:17 AM, XAvier Periole wrote:

> Just for the record ATB is a very good tool to build a start up topology. They also have a large set of topologies available on the site.
>
> The charges are determined by QM and the user chooses the level of accuracy.
> The bonded and LJ parameters are chosen based on the type of atom and it connectivity. Most atom types are already existing.
>
> The sad part of ATB and other automated topology builders is that it is difficult to make a correct topology without putting the hands in.
>
> Note that the CHARMM topology builder is even worst that ATB, but it gives you consistent topologies with existing ones.

Which CHARMM topology builder?  CGenFF or ParamChem?  I'd be curious to know the
basis upon which this claim is made.  CHARMM and GROMOS follow very different
parametrization protocols, so if a systematic analysis has been done, in the
context of the relative accuracy of the parent force fields, I would really like
to see the results.  I think that would be a very valuable effort.

Note that at least CGenFF gives penalty scores for all parameters that it
provides the user, specifically telling which parameters will require additional
work.

> In short: You need an experienced modeller to help you “validating” your topology.

Agreed 100%.  There is no black box method that is perfect or can be trusted
implicitly.  Some are better than others, but force fields are as much an art as
they are a science.  A perfect, hands-off method for parametrization of any
molecule is, at present, untenable.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy