[gmx-users] Error message while running energy minimization

Deep Bhattacharya hypergenetics at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 19:19:28 CEST 2016

I modified the em.mdp file

; LINES STARTING WITH ';' ARE COMMENTS
title = Minimization ; Title of run

; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save
integrator = steep ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent minimization)
emtol = 1000.0   ; Stop minimization when the maximum force < 10.0 kJ/mol
emstep      = 0.01      ; Energy step size
nsteps = 500000   ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to perform
energygrps = Protein UNK ; Which energy group(s) to write to disk

; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
calculate the interactions
nstlist = 1    ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and long range forces
ns_type = grid ; Method to determine neighbor list (simple, grid)
rlist = 1.4 ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range forces)
coulombtype = PME ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
rcoulomb = 1.4 ; long range electrostatic cut-off
rvdw = 1.4 ; long range Van der Waals cut-off
pbc    = xyz ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
epsilon-rf     = 61

When I try putting rcoulomb =0.8 as you had suggested, I get this error
message
ERROR 1 [file em.mdp]: With coulombtype = PME (without modifier), rcoulomb
must be equal to rlist, or rlistlong if nstcalclr=1. For optimal energy
conservation,consider using a potential modifier.
Do I need to use a potential modifier as it suggests?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 7/13/16 1:05 PM, Deep Bhattacharya wrote:
>
>> I am using GROMACS v.4.6. Does using Verlet cut-off scheme lead to
>> problems
>> like blowing up of the system?
>>

> No, you can't blame crashes on the Verlet algorithm.  It should be more
> accurate than anything else.  Systems typically crash because of (1)
> inadequate preparation/minimization, (2) bad topology, (3) inappropriate
> .mdp settings, or some combination thereof.
>
> When you say the largest charge in the topology you mean the combined
>> protein-ligand pdb?
>>

> No, I mean the topology, not the coordinates.
>
> I have attached the .top and combined pdb file.
>>

> The list does not accept attachments, nor would any serve any purpose.
> You can easily inspect the topology with a simple text editor.
>
> -Justin
>

> Please help
>> Deep
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 7/13/16 12:25 PM, Deep Bhattacharya wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,

>>> is something you may want to check."  It does not necessarily mean
>>> anything
>>> is wrong (that's what an "error" is).
>>>
>>> NOTE 2 [file topol.top]:

>>> using the Verlet cutoff scheme, it's completely irrelevant. You don't
>>> specify a cutoff-scheme explicitly your .mdp but it is the default in
>>> recent versions, but you haven't said which GROMACS version you're using.
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>
>>> em.mdp

>>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>>> Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
>>>
>>> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
>>> School of Pharmacy
>>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>>> University of Maryland, Baltimore