[gmx-users] Plus / Minus sign in rtp file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 18 16:05:13 CEST 2016

On 7/18/16 9:55 AM, Li, Shi wrote:
> Dear Gmx users,
>
> I have a problem with the plus and minus signs while editing the .rtp file.
> In the manual, it mentioned that it refers to the previous and next
> residue. But what is the rule to include this? Say i have a benzene and on
> C1 and C3 both bonded with a same residue. How should I include the
> plus/minus? I had many trails and each time the residues will both bonded
> with the same carbon (C1), leading to a long bond in the topology.
> This is an example I used in the. rtp file. Can anyone tell my why this is
> wrong and what is the rule?

Next residue = current residue index + 1
Previous residue = current residue index - 1

See existing amino acids for straightforward examples.

> ;Benzene
>
> [ bonds ]
>   C1  +CT
>  -CT  C3

So this says: (res i-1)--CT-|-C3--(res i)--C1-|-CT--(res i+1)

Your approach implies a branch point at CT, with both C1 and C3 of each residue
bonding to the same atom (CT).  This may or may not be what you want.

> [ residue ]
>   CT  +C3
>   CT   -C1

I don't know what this is, as "residue" is not a valid directive.  Only bonded
interactions (bonds, angles, dihedrals) can make use of the +/- mechanism.

> Many thanks,
> Shi

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy