[gmx-users] angle calculation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 21 13:52:24 CEST 2016

On 7/20/16 12:17 PM, Adamu, Aliyu wrote:
> Hello Justin,
>
> Thanks a lot for your email. but I have no suitable vectors available in my
> .ndx file and I have no idea on how to write the simple script you suggested.

Your index file won't contain vectors, it contains groups of atoms.  Those
groups of atoms can be used to define vectors between them using selection
syntax available in many GROMACS tools.  Please have a look at the gmx gangle
help description for how to select them and "gmx help selections" for learning
how to use the syntax.  I have not tried to do this exact calculation but it
should be possible if properly specified.  If you have further questions about
this, please post exactly what you have tried, what it returned (wrong result,
error, etc) and we can advise further.

> Please can you please elaborate or give a template of the script?

It's very simple.  One can easily calculate the vector between two points.  The
angle between those vectors is obtained with simple mathematics.  Any scripting
language like Python or Perl can be used to parse the file.  I strongly
recommend learning at least one programming/scripting language for anyone in the
field of computational chemistry.  If all the tools you need aren't available
already, you'll have to create your own!

-Justin