[gmx-users] Long Range dispersion correction with Lennard-Jones PME

Joel Jose Montalvo Acosta montalvo161 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 18:21:01 CEST 2016

Dear David,

Thanks for your answer.

Following the papers you suggested me (also a recent paper titled
"Direct-Space Corrections Enable Fast and Accurate Lorentz− Berthelot
Combination Rule Lennard-Jones Lattice Summation". JCTC 2015 *11* (12),
5737-5746.) plus your explanations I could understand a bit more the
implementation of LJ-PME in Gromacs, at least in the case where geometric
combination rule is used for both LJPME and the force field (as e.g.,
OPLS).  However, I still have some questions about the use of arithmetic
combination rule with LJPME.

In a first case, when both the LJPME and the force field use the arithmetic
combination rule (as Charmm FF), the dispersion correction is zero, because
LJPME is exact in this condition and there is not need to apply any
dispersion correction (this is the same result when geometric combination
rule is used for both LJPME and force field as you indicated before),
however this is impractical because the arithmetic combination rule for
LJPME is very slow. Then, to have a good efficiency, LJPME should be used
with the geometric combination rule even with force fields which use the
arithmetic combination rule (as Charmm). In this second case, a very small
dispersion correction is computed (as you indicated), but I still don't
know how this contribution is obtained (I could not reproduce this value by
hand using a model system), could you provide me more detail about the
computation of <C6> and the dispersion correction for this case?. Also, Is
it necessary to add this (small) dispersion correction for this second case?

Thank you in advances,

Joel