[gmx-users] Problem with Umbrella Sampling simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 22 14:23:42 CEST 2016

On 7/22/16 8:19 AM, Daniele Veclani wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users
>
> I'm trying to calculate the potential mean force between two molecules (A
> and B).
>
> I created the various configurations through the pull simulation. To do
> this I kept fixes the position of the molecule A (position restraint)
>
> I have extracted the coordinates and sampled the various configurations.
>
> Now I have to use these configurations as input for umbrella sampling
> simulation.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> - Do I have to maintain a position restraint on A molecule?

No.

> - Do I have to enter the position restraint even for molecule B? (Otherwise
> during the dynamic simulation I a change of the distance between molecule A
> and B)

No.  The distance between A and B is all that matters and it is restrained using
the harmonic potential applied by the pull code.  It will vary over time but
should on average, in each window, be equal to the restraint reference distance
specified in the .mdp file.

-Justin

> - Can I get a clear explanation about this last step of the job?
>
> Best regards,
> D.V.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy