[gmx-users] Error running simulations with the protein frozen

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Mar 26 04:32:34 CET 2016

On 3/25/16 9:42 PM, Nuo Wang wrote:
> Hi Gromacs admins,
>
> I am trying to run MD simulations of protein solvated in water. I want to
> completely freeze the protein at its crystal conformation and only sample
> the solvent degrees of freedom (for comparison with Poisson-Boltzmann
> calculations that only use the crystal structure). I tried to follow the
> typical minimization-equilibration-production procedure described here:
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme/index.html
>
> But I get this error at the energy minimization step:
> "Fatal error:
> step 11: Water molecule starting at atom 60322 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate."
>
> If I take away the freeze protein commands in my minimize.mdp, then no
> error occurs:
> freezegrps    = Protein
> freezedim     = Y Y Y
>
> I checked my atom 60322, it is next to the protein, but it is neither
> clashing with anyone nor moving rapidly in my trajectory. Reducing timestep
> by 1000 times won't help either, error just occurs at a later step.
>
> I wonder how can I resolve this problem?

Freezing is a severe perturbation on the system, and taking a protein out of its
crystal environment, dunking it in water, and expecting that conformation to be
happy (or even sensible) is a bad assumption.  If you want to preserve the
overall conformation, try something gentler like normal position restraints.

-Justin

> The script that I used is shown here, the input files in the script are
> linked below:
> ### Generate topology
> echo 9  | gmx pdb2gmx -f complex.pdb -o complex.gro -p complex.top -merge
> all -ignh -water tip3p
> ### Generate box information
>            gmx editconf -f complex.gro -o complex_newbox.gro -bt cubic -c
> -box 11 11 11
> ### Add water
>            gmx solvate -cp complex_newbox.gro -cs spc216.gro -o
> complex_solvated.gro -p complex.top
> ### Prepare ion parameters
>            gmx grompp -f ions.mdp -c complex_solvated.gro -p complex.top -o
> ions.tpr
> ### Add ions
> echo 13 | gmx genion -s ions.tpr -o complex_solvated_ions.gro -p
> complex.top -pname NA -nname CL -neutral -conc 0
> ### Generate index file
> echo q  | gmx make_ndx -f complex_solvated_ions.gro -o index.ndx
> ### Preparation for energy minimization for the non-protein atoms
>            gmx grompp -f minimize.mdp -c complex_solvated_ions.gro -n
> index.ndx -p complex.top -o em.tpr
> ### Energy minimization for the non-protein atoms
>            gmx mdrun -v -deffnm em -nt 1
>
> complex.pdb:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oskrjCa2EMQURKd0J5bXdNRk0/view?usp=sharing
> ions.mdp: