[gmx-users] Error running simulations with the protein frozen

Nuo Wang wolich22 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 06:28:14 CET 2016

Hi Justin,

This "freeze-protocol" is published here in Methods:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.jctc.5b00684
My goal is to use the MD-calculated free energy to validate the
electrostatic solvation free energies produced by software like APBS. In
APBS, the protein takes one conformation (typically a PDB structure) and
the solvent is modeled by mean-field theory. The only rigorous way to
compare MD to the "single-conformation" APBS result is by freezing the
protein and sampling only the solvent.

The system does look artificial but from an algorithmic point of view,
my protocol should be very doable. The protein is frozen, so its high
internal energy doesn't matter. And water is reasonably placed around the
protein by Gromacs, water themselves should pass the minimization safely.

To give you more information, I have done the exactly same thing in NAMD --
freezing the crystal structure protein -- and it works just fine. But now I
have to switch to Gromacs to use the free energy calculation procedure I
need. (Long time NAMD user, first time Gromacs user)

Last, I have already tried to use restraints, simulation runs fine, but it
is not what I want to do.

I think this is a input file setup issue, not an issue with the physics of
the seemingly artificial system.

Thanks ahead for any further help on this!

Thanks,
Nuo