[gmx-users] Generating topology for a HEM protein with CHARMM27

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 26 03:01:43 CEST 2016

On 5/25/16 9:58 AM, zeineb SI CHAIB wrote:
> @Justin,
>
> Thank you very much for your help, I finally fixed the problem but I'm having another one with grompp (which was expected): The error that I get is:
>
> ERROR 7 [file topol.top, line 41571]:
>   No default Proper Dih. types
>
> Fatal error:
> There were 13 errors in input file(s)
>
> I think that the problem is about the bond parameters between SH in cystein and HEME iron group, isn't it?
>
> After looking in the literature, I found their corresponding parameters: I added the following fields in CHARMM file ffbonded.it:
>

> [
> bondtypes ]
> ;
> i	j	   func	b0	 kb
>   SG
>   FE        1      0.232  209200.0
>

> [
> angletypes ]
> ;
> i	j	k	func	th0	cth	ub0	cub
> CT2
>    SG       FE       5      100.6   418.4   0.0     0.0
> SG
>     FE       NPH      5       90.0   836.8   0.0     0.0
> SG
>     FE       NPH      5       90.0   836.8   0.0     0.0
> SG
>     FE       NPH      5       90.0   836.8   0.0     0.0
> SG
>     FE       NPH      5       90.0   836.8   0.0     0.0
>
> ;
> ###
>  CS	    SS	X	  9	    0.20	0.0	3
>
> CA
>      CB      SG      FE      9       0.20    0.0   3
> HB1
>     CB      SG      FE      9       0.20    0.0   3
> HB1
>     CB      SG      FE      9       0.20    0.0   3
>
> ;
> ###
>  FE	    SS	X	  9	    0.00	0.0	  4
> CB
>      SG      FE      NPH     9       0.00    0.0     4
> CB
>      SG      FE      NPH     9       0.00    0.0     4
> CB
>      SG      FE      NPH     9       0.00    0.0     4
>

> But after that, I had another type of error:
>
> Fatal error:
> Unknown bond_atomtype SG
>

> I added an SG entry in atomtypes.atp but I'm having the same error? Am I missing something?

SG is an atom *name*, not an atom *type*.

atomtypes.atp is also irrelevant anyway, as it is only read by pdb2gmx, so
that's not how you add new atom types.  But in any case, this is not what you
should be doing anyway.  Be careful that your protonation states are correct -
make sure that -SH is correct (instead of the thiolate form) before adding a
bunch of parameters and trying to do the simulation.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629