[gmx-users] About Area per lipids in Mixed Membranes

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 16 03:27:22 CET 2016

On 11/15/16 2:29 PM, Poncho Arvayo Zatarain wrote:

> Hello: I want to calculate the area per lipids in DPPC/DPPE membranes of 128
> lipids per leafleft. I have a membrane with 128 DPPC and 128 molecules ofDPPE
> and Box X and Box Y are 8.846591 and 8.846591 respectivelly. Should i
> calculate the area per lipid using (Box X * Box Y)/(#lipids per leafleft)?

That assumes the contributions to the area are equal between the two lipids,
which may not be correct.  There are methods for estimating the contribution of
each lipid to the APL, though, e.g. http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/GridMAT-MD/

> Also i have tha same membrane (128 molecules of DPPC and 128 molecules of
> DPPE) but with more than 50 molecules of a drug inside the membrane. Box X
> and Box Y are 9.118480 and 9.118480. Should i use Box X * Box Y)/(#lipids per
> leafleft) too? I´m using gromacs 5.0.2

No, because the drug may occupy some portion of the membrane surface that has to
be accounted for.  The above program will do that if set up properly.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore