[gmx-users] About Area per lipid using Gid-MAT

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 17 17:10:48 CET 2016

On 11/17/16 11:09 AM, Poncho Arvayo Zatarain wrote:

> Hello: I'm calculating the area per lipid of a mixed bilayer of dppc and dppe with a molecule inside, using GRID MAT. When i run Grid Mat it appears: Can't calculate the are per lipid, line 761 can't divided by zero in GRID-MAT-MD.pl. So, i check de Grid-MAT.pl in line 761 and this is in: Which is the line that indicates can't divided by zero or which i have to modificate?
>
> # Print APLs just based on number of lipids and cross-sectional surface area
>     print "\nCalculating area per lipid head group...\n";
>
>     my $area = $transfer_x*$transfer_y*100;
>     my $area_per_lipid_top = $area/(scalar(@top_leaflet_ref));
>     my $area_per_lipid_bottom = $area/(scalar(@bottom_leaflet_ref));
>
>     printf ("The lateral area of the system is %.5f sq. Angstroms (per side)\n", $area);
>     print "When you don't account for any protein atoms:\n";
>     printf ("    The average area per lipid in the top leaflet is %.5f sq. Angstroms\n", $area_per_lipid_top);
>     printf ("    The average area per lipid in the bottom leaflet is %.5f sq. Angstroms\n", $area_per_lipid_bottom);
>
>     if ($param{protein} eq("yes")){
>         print "When you do take the protein atoms into account:\n";

Likely you're specifying your lipid residue name(s) incorrectly, but if you need
to troubleshoot further, send me your coordinate and input files off-list and we
can look at it further because this is not a GROMACS problem.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore