[gmx-users] FEP vs PMF

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 24 00:04:48 CET 2016

On 11/23/16 11:29 AM, Alex wrote:
> Thanks Billy,
>
> If so, then, what do you call the what you get from only one leg of the
> thermodynamic cycle? I mean calculation of only for example bound(complex)
> state or unbound(ligand) state.

Any leg of a thermodynamic cycle is DG.  The summation of these terms gives you
the DG value for the process of interest.  This is an absolute free energy, e.g.
binding free energy, hydration free energy, etc.  You only get DDG if you are
taking the difference between DG values in a relative free energy calculation.

> How the DDG should be calculated?

A binding process is not a relative calculation.  It's an absolute binding free
energy.  You're not going to get DDG for anything here unless you're comparing
DG(molecule1) - DG(molecule2) in different binding processes.

-Justin