[gmx-users] Removal of Waters in Hydrophobic Core

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Sat Nov 26 21:36:08 CET 2016

I have not run that in a long time, but looking at it (and my initial post here: https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users/2006-May/021526.html ) it seems like I wrote out the instructions incorrectly. Sorry about that!

In the post linked above, step 8 is:

cat not_last_line.gro new_waters.gro last_line.gro > new_system.gro

but I think you would really want to do this:

cat not_last_line.gro keep_these_waters.gro last_line.gro > new_system.gro

where the change is to *actually use* the keep_these_waters.gro file that we create with the script ;)

Looks like I realized that a number of years ago: http://www.mail-archive.com/gmx-users@gromacs.org/msg37736.html

Sorry for the confusion, indeed the commands listed on the webpage seem like they should lead you to recover exactly the initial file :(

Note also that you need to set the upper and lower bounds correctly, and modify the script as noted if you are using a 4-point (or 5-ponit) water model, and make the noted change if your input file has also velocities. All of those things are correctly indicated on the webpage though.

Please reply back to this list if that change works for you as expected and I'll bring it to Mark's attention to see if he can update the webpage.