[gmx-users] g_spatial Problem

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 5 03:44:46 CEST 2016

Can you please describe the system a bit more (especially how many molecules of each of the 4 types you have) and also provide more information about what you want to obtain (sdf, obviously, but of what and ideally also why).

1. your procedure could be ok, but also maybe not. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. I am presuming there is only 1 "anion" though (based on the image you sent me off-list) although that doesn't jive with your question #2, so I am confused here. Fitting over multiple "anion" molecules that are separately diffusing is not likely what you want.... -- (B) the grid.cube file is a rectangular matrix, so that is expected. The regions with non-zero density will not fill up the entire rectangle though, usually.

2. The g_spatial program is intended for a single central fitting group. There was an old program called g_sdf that may (or may not) do what you want -- it was intended to look at multiple central solutes though as I recall. If you want to have the cumulative sdf over all "anions" then you have to do more processing. What I do in this case is this. Say I have 10 "anion" solute molecules (the central group for which you want to build an sdf of other molecules around ... I'm going to call this the solute from here on). Then you make 10 copies of the trajectory in which you only output one solute (different one each time) and also include all the solvent (this part will be the same in all trajectories). Then concatenate all of these trajectories with trjconv -cat -nosort. You may need to create a .tpr for this trajectory, or possibly g_spatial will accept a .gro or .pdb as input to the -s option. Now you take this concatenated trajectory and run it through all the steps that you listed in your email. This should give you what you want.

Note: if your solute is flexible, then you may not want to fit on the entire solute. That may lead to smearing. I would certainly try it, but I would also try fitting on different subsets of the solute (like one charged region) that have at least 3 atoms and make that sdf as well.

Good luck.
Chris.