[gmx-users] Different Results with Different Platforms

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 6 13:21:34 CEST 2016

On 10/6/16 7:13 AM, Kelechi Okoroafor wrote:
> Thank you for the tip, Justin.
> I incorrectly thought that the coordinates and box dimensions were
> sufficient to preserve the pressure of the system.
> I shall make a habit of restarting simulations with the checkpoint file
> rather than .gro files.
>
> My sequence of commands were:
>

>    - gmx  grompp  -f npt.mdp   -c EM.gro   -p sys.top   -o NPT1.tpr  -n
>    index.ndx   -maxwarn  -1
>
>    -
>
>    gmx  mdrun -v -deffnm NPT1  -nb gpu -tunepme
>    -
>
>    gmx editconf -f  NPT1.gro  -o   NPT1.pdb  -c -d 0.00
>    -
>
>    gmx editconf -f  NPT1.pdb  -o   NPT1.gro  -c -d 0.00
>    -

If you just want to convert file formats, omit -c -d in your editconf command
and nothing will change.  By using -d 0.00, you will be adjusting the system
size (you will see this by comparing the box vectors in the input and output
files).  You're ensuring a bad discontinuity by doing this.  My recommendation
is to always use unmodified files when continuing runs; it's basically
bulletproof.  If you want a different format for visualization, that's fine, but
just use it for visualization.  Your original NPT1.gro should have been fine,
but having transformed to .pdb while manipulating the box, then back, you're
just invalidating anything that was done previously.

-Justin

>    gmx  grompp  -f pme.mdp   -c NPT1.gro   -p sys.top   -o NVT1.tpr  -n
>    index.ndx   -maxwarn  -1
>    -
>
>    gmx  mdrun -v -deffnm NVT1  -nb gpu -tunepme

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore