[gmx-users] How to make a program run on the trajectory

João Henriques joao.henriques.32353 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:46:50 CEST 2016

Ok, I think I follow you now. The simplest and easiest (not the most
elegant and fast tough) answer is: do more or less what do_dssp/DSSP do
together. Just print a PDB per each consecutive frame (using "trjconv") and
run your program on each one. You now either save one output per PDB and do
the statistics at the end, or you just keep all the information in virtual
memory and output the final results at the end. Depends on what takes the
least modification to your existing code.

*IMPORTANT NOTE:* As you probably know better than me, having stuff stored
in virtual memory is way faster than read/write from/to the disk. In the
ideal world, you really want to avoid that. *The best/most efficient
solution would be to load the binary trajectory (e.g. xtc file) into memory
and operate directly on that information.* However, that will probably
involve a lot of coding, and thus it all comes down to what takes less
time: Writing a high performance program from scratch? Or running a less
elegant solution that uses the code you already have?

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
João