[gmx-users] Error at FEP lambda = 1; seg. fault. with "larger than the table limit" message

Eric Smoll ericsmoll at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 03:12:56 CEST 2017

Hello Mark,

I did not answer one of your questions. You asked "what is the alchemical
state at 1.0?" The transformation involves lengthening the hydrocarbon
substituent of an organic molecule. At lambda=0.0, we have the short-chain
state. At lambda=1.0, we have the long-chain state. Since lambda=1.0
corresponds to a larger molecule, the overlap issue you describe is
possible. However, I can visualize the initial state of the total system
(atoms and dummies) to ensure that there is no problematic overlap and (as
far as I can tell) there is no overlap).

Another interesting note is that the problem atom-pair indices reported in
the error are different if small changes in the topology and mdp-settings
are made. This suggests that there is something fundamentally wrong with my
topology. However, the simulations run fine for all other lambda values
from lambda=0.0 to lambda=0.9 with the same topology/input-structure/mdp
settings.

Best,
Eric