[gmx-users] Zinc Oxide Simulation

André Farias de Moura moura at ufscar.br
Thu Apr 20 17:59:48 CEST 2017

Hi Sapna,

just a few general comments:

(1) mixing parameters from different force fields is nearly always a bad
idea. In your case, it is probably worse, since Mulliken charges are not
actual force field charges.

(2) as a matter of fact, any charges from the reference you have pick up
should be seen with caution, since they report either DFT calculations or
ReaxFF simulations (which is not supported by GROMACS)

(3) any Zn2+ or O parameters from GROMOS or other force fields available
within GROMACS are not meant to treat ZnO or other similar material, they
usually apply to single zinc ions and small molecules containing oxygen.

(4) there are classical nonreactive force fields available, but you need to
check if they can reproduce the phases you're interested in. For instance:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/la9022739

best

Andre