[gmx-users] Higher that usual salt bridge occupancies in Amber99sb*-ildn forcefield despite adding nonbonded corrections

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 20 20:07:44 CEST 2017

On 4/20/17 9:12 AM, Priyesh Mohanty wrote:
> Dear Justin and Chris,There appears to be no difference between the old and
> the newly created .tpr files. I determined this using gmxcheck. As an
> additional confirmation I reperformed a production simulation of Ubiquitin
> using the old .tpr which originally gave the proper occupancies for a given
> salt bridge. The reperformed run also shows the increase in occupancy
> compared to the original run. I think this suggests a problem with mdrun.

That's a rather serious allegation.  mdrun undergoes correctness testing so that
the physics is faithfully performed.  Does your GROMACS installation pass all
the tests after you have installed?

> This problem appeared simultaneously across across multiple machines. The
> stability is more than three times higher in the newer run with the same
> corrections (53% vs 16% occupancy using a 5 angstrom cutoff).

How long are your simulations?  Can you reproduce the findings across multiple
trajectories starting from different initial coordinates or velocities?  You may
just have a sampling problem.  Have you tested the correctness of the force
field modifications by e.g. comparing a single point energy in GROMACS with one
done in AMBER?

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629