[gmx-users] Performance values

Maureen Chew maureen.chew at oracle.com
Mon Aug 7 18:10:16 CEST 2017

Szilárd,
Thank you so very much for the reply!    You mention
that time/step is important if trying to do an apples-to-apples
comparison for any given simulation.

I have a few questions - For specific example, use the RNAse reference here:
(http://www.gromacs.org/gpu <http://www.gromacs.org/gpu>)
Influence of box geometry and virtual interaction sites
This is a simulation of the protein RNAse, which contains roughly 24,000 atoms in a cubic box.
The image rnase.png <http://www.gromacs.org/@api/deki/files/224/=rnase.png>, shows a 6 core baseline to be, roughly 50ns/day

First,  assuming this is from rnase_cubic @ ftp://ftp.gromacs.org/pub/benchmarks/rnase_bench_systems.tar.gz <ftp://ftp.gromacs.org/pub/benchmarks/rnase_bench_systems.tar.gz>
which contains these files:
rnase_cubic/rf_verlet.mdp
rnase_cubic/conf.gro
rnase_cubic/topol.top
rnase_cubic/pme_verlet.mdp

3 questions:
- What gmx grompp command was use to generate the tpr file for the result in rnase.png?
	Apologies if its intuitively obvious which mdp  was used
- Aside from -ntmpi and -ntomp parms, what gmx mdrun command was used to obtain
	the 6 core result?
- From that 6 core run, what is the time/step that you refer to?  Is that
	real cycle  and time accounting for neighbor search, force, PME mesh etc,
	and  time/step that you refer to is the wall time/call count?

Thanks in advance!
—maureen