[gmx-users] (no subject)

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 02:06:16 CEST 2017

>> I did not quite understand your comment.
>>
>> However, I am trying my best to answer it.
>> I have a surface MnO2 model. I have solvated the structure in all 3
>> directions. After that, I minimize it and run NVT simulation with the
>> parameters as mentioned. However, I see that there is a deformation of the
>> surface and it does not remain a flat surface. Instead, it curls like a
>> ribbon. This should not be the case. Hence, I am wondering what are the
>> factors that can lead to this deformation? Are the parameters in the NVT
>> simulation good enough or else there is a problem that I cannot see.

There are a few points to be made...
1. The shape of your system, which is "solvated in all 3 directions" is
very unclear. Is this a brick floating in water?
2. Please do not solvate anything until you have established that your
"surface" is happy in vacuum.
3. If you have bending as a whole, it could be indicative of large
internal strains, in which case NVT is probably a poor option. When you
say you have "a surface MnO2 model," is it something like this?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Manganese-dioxide-from-xtal-sheet-3D-balls.png
4. This community is mostly focused on biomolecular simulations and
noone will be able to verify your parameterization of a solid crystal.
Here is the rule of thumb though: If something bends when it shouldn't
bend, your model is bad, which really has nothing to do with Gromacs.
5. If you are a student and points 1-4 aren't something your doctoral
advisor already mentioned, maybe you should find another advisor.

Alex