[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling simulation stopped in middle.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 4 15:27:13 CET 2017

On 12/4/17 1:33 AM, Sailesh Bataju wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started to pull a dimer of isobutane molecules as a production md
> after npt equilibriation. Here is the md_pull.mdp file for production md.
>
> ; Umbrella pulling, production md
> ; preprocessing parameters
> title  = Umbrella Sampling
> ; run parameters
> integrator = md ; leap-frog integrator for integrating Newton's equations
> of motion
> nsteps = 1000000 ; 10^6 steps to integrate or maximize i.e. total =
> 5*10^5*1x10^-15 = 0.5 ns
> dt = 0.001 ; time step for integration i.e. 1fs=0.001ps
> nstcomm = 100 ; frequency for center of mass motion removal
> ; output control parameters
> nstxout = 1000 ; save coordinates every 1000*1x10^-15 = 1ps
> nstvout = 1000 ; save velocities every 1ps
> nstenergy = 1000 ; save energies every 1ps
> nstfout = 1000 ; number of steps that elapse between writing forces to
> output trajectory
> nstlog = 1000 ; update log file every 1ps
> nstxtcout = 1000 ; gives 1000 frames for umbrella sampling generates .xtc
> file
> energygrps = Alkane SOL ; groups of the molecules present in the system
> that writes to the energy file
> ; neighbour searching parameters
> cutoff-scheme = verlet
> nstlist = 10 ; frequency to update neighbour list
> ns_type = grid ; search neighboring grid cells
> rlist = 1.0 ; Cut-off distance for the short-range neighbor list
> pbc = xyz ; periodic boundary conditions in all directions
> ; electrostatics, vdw and ewald parameters
> coulombtype = PME ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
> pme-order = 4 ; Interpolation order for PME. 4 equals cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing = 0.12 ; grid spacing for FFT
> rcoulomb = 1.0 ; distance for coulomb cut-off
> epsilon-r = 1.0 ; relative dielectric constant
> rvdw = 1.0 ; distance for the LJ or Buckingham cut-off (short-range van der
> waal's cut-off)
> optimize_fft = yes
> ; temperature coupling in on
> tcoupl = Nose-Hoover ; modified Berendsen thermostat
> tc-grps = Alkane SOL ; groups to couple separately to temperature bath
> tau-t = 0.2 0.2 ; time constant for coupling
> ref-t = 298 298 ; according to experiment performed before
> ld-seed = 1225 ; random seed for temperature
> ; pressure coupling is on
> pcoupl = Parrinello-Rahman ; The box is scaled every timestep,Exponential
> relaxation pressure coupling with time constant tau-p
> pcoupltype = isotropic
> tau-p = 1 ; time constant for coupling in ps
> compressibility = 4.6e-5 ; For water at 1 atm at 300K is 4.6e-6bar^(-1)
> ref-p = 1 ; reference pressure
> refcoord-scaling = com
> DispCorr = EnerPres ; apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy
> and Pressure
> ; generate velocity at 298K
> gen-vel = no ; generate velocity initially
> [...]

Using direction-periodic requires an NVT ensemble, so you would be
changing this for some windows and not others. That's not a good idea.
The simplest solution is to use a larger box. Based on the error
message, your box is already very small so increasing it slightly
shouldn't be a big deal, but you would have to repeat the simulations.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061