[gmx-users] PROTEIN FOLDING

João Henriques joao.m.a.henriques at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 11:33:41 CET 2017

"You can use various supporting tools from R language to debug your
trajectory but most third party software support NAMD and charmm format.
You can use VMD to convert the trajectory to dcd and use R language based
packages to read your trajectory"

What? How is this useful or helpful? At most it confuses the OP even more.

Also, the clustering analysis is unlikely to be what you want or need at
this stage. Why overcomplicate? One of the simplest ways to check that
there are conformational changes on a given set of atoms is by doing a RMSD
analysis using the folded structure as the reference. The RMSD is somewhat
degenerate, but should suffice for this purpose. You can use an index file
to restrict the RMSD analysis to a particular subset of your system (the
docking site, for example).

You could look at the radius of gyration as well, Rg, as Aman Deep also
suggests. This can either be calculated on a subset of atoms or on the
entire protein. The latter could potentially be used to compare with the
experimental reference obtained by SAXS, for example. Or you could
calculate the SAXS curve and get a better understanding of size and shape
differences between your protein and the reference, but that's more
advanced stuff.