[gmx-users] Issue regarding MN+2

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 29 16:21:22 CET 2017

On 12/29/17 10:11 AM, Amir Zeb wrote:
> Hello dear gromacs users,
>
> I want to simulate a protein which has two Mn+2 ions as co-factor.
> Till the solvation, I could prepare the system, but at neutralization step,
> grompp gives me this fatal error.
>
> Fatal error:
> Atomtype MN not found
>
> My system has this topology for Mn+2:
>
> [ moleculetype ]
> ; Name            nrexcl
> Other_chain_C2      3
>
> [ atoms ]
> ;   nr       type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass  typeB
>    chargeB      massB
> ; residue 501 MN2  rtp MN   q +2.0
>       1        MN     501    MN2      MN      1          2      54.94   ;
> qtot 2
> ; residue 502 MN2  rtp MN   q +2.0
>       2        MN     502    MN2      MN      2          2      54.94   ;
> qtot 4
>

> And the Mn+2 has this configuration:
>
>    501MN2     MN 4551   5.405   5.564   2.987
>    502MN2     MN 4552   5.582   5.590   3.497
>
> I have used Charmm36 ff, and the gromacs version is 5.0.6
>
> Please let me know how can I fix this issue?

This is not a standard CHARMM atom type - did you add it yourself? If
so, what was the source of the parameters? It looks like you have a
residue defined in the .rtp, hence pdb2gmx wrote the topology, but you
don't actually have parameters assigned for the atom type in
ffnonbonded.itp.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.