[gmx-users] Problems with Energy Minimization in Solvated Ligand

Toan Nguyen toan.nguy at berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 29 23:14:57 CET 2017

Is it okay to see this same warning when running npt and nvt?

"*WARNING: Listed nonbonded interaction between particles 1 and 119*
*at distance 2.103 which is larger than the table limit 2.000 nm.*

*This is likely either a 1,4 interaction, or a listed interaction inside*
*a smaller molecule you are decoupling during a free energy calculation.*
*Since interactions at distances beyond the table cannot be computed,*
*they are skipped until they are inside the table limit again. You will*
*only see this message once, even if it occurs for several interactions.*

*IMPORTANT: This should not happen in a stable simulation, so there is*
*probably something wrong with your system. Only change the table-extension*
*distance in the mdp file if you are really sure that is the reason."*

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 12/28/17 9:36 PM, Toan Nguyen wrote:
>
>> How would we go about doing another energy minimization? I realized I sent
>>

> Double precision, or using conjugate gradients, or using steepest descents
> with a smaller initial step.
>
> the wrong tutorial earlier, I was actually following this one Absolute
>> Binding Free Energy - Gromacs 2016
>> <http://www.alchemistry.org/wiki/Absolute_Binding_Free_Energ
>> y_-_Gromacs_2016>
>> by David Mobley.
>>

> Good luck getting that to converge with a peptide :)
>
> -Justin
>

> On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 12/28/17 8:40 PM, Toan Nguyen wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> somewhere
>>> early on in the minimization process. If EM finishes (which it does),
>>> then
>>> the bad contact has been at least somewhat resolved. The forces are still
>>> somewhat high, so you will likely need additional minimization and/or
>>> double precision, as the message from mdrun suggests.
>>>
>>> The protein-ligand complex tutorial isn't really relevant here; you just
>>> have a very simple protein in water, not that it makes much difference.
>>> But
>>> don't get too hung up on having a "ligand" in your system. You have a
>>> peptide, so it's nothing that requires any really special procedur
>>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=that+requires+any+really+special+procedur&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>> e.
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Virginia Tech Department of Biochemistry
>>>
>>> 303 Engel Hall
>>> 340 West Campus Dr.
>>> Blacksburg, VA 24061
>>>
>>> jalemkul at vt.edu | (540) 231-3129
>>> http://www.biochem.vt.edu/people/faculty/JustinLemkul.html

>>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support
>>> /Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
>
> 303 Engel Hall