[gmx-users] Propylene Carbonate

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 6 15:54:29 CET 2017

On 2/6/17 9:46 AM, Sencer Selcuk wrote:
> Justin,
>
> I am pretty sure there is a reliable parametrization of propylene carbonate (PC)
> in OPLSaa. The OPLSaa parameters included in GROMACS lists all PC atoms
> explicitly as well. The opls_771 to opls_779 non-bonded types correspond to PC
> atoms.
>
> In the bonded part, however, OS-C-OS angle is missing. I checked the parameters
> provided with Tinker, the same angle is missing.  There are several papers &
> dissertations where people say they used GROMACS and the OPLS parameters
> provided there in to model PC. So I feel like none of the parameters are
> missing, but  I am doing something wrong.

Contact those authors and ask for their topologies to see what they did.  Maybe
they parametrized the angle and just forgot to mention that, or they used
parameters from a similar angle (and forgot to mention that), or they used
different types.  But if simulations of this molecule have been done before,
avoid reinventing the wheel - this is why there are corresponding authors!

-Justin

> I would really appreciate if you, or someone with experience can take a quick
> look -as I believe this should be a very straight forward example of .top
> generation.
>
> Best,
>
> Sencer
>

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On 2/5/17 12:29 PM, Sencer Selcuk wrote:
>>> Sotirios,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response. The angle I am looking at is actually present in the
>>> molecule, but the corresponding parameters are missing from the ffbonded.itp.
>>> With the hope that white spaces won't be messed when I send this email, this is
>>> the propylene carbonate molecule with the bonded atom types listed in
>>> ffnonbonded.itp:

>>>    /  \
>>> OS   OS
>>>  |      |
>>> CT---CT-CT
>>>

>>> and the angle I cannot find in the ffbonded.itp is OS-C-OS bond.
>>>

>> If the force field doesn't already have parameters for it, you'll need to
>> parametrize it in accordance with the parent force field's normal
>> parametrization strategy.  There may be parameters in OPLS-AA that are
>> published but not incorporated in GROMACS; there have been several recent
>> extensions of the force field for drug-like molecules that may be useful.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Sencer

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences