[gmx-users] How to calculate the angle between the bilayer normal and the P?N vector?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 14 15:34:11 CET 2017

On 2/14/17 9:31 AM, Ezequiel Frigini wrote:
> Hi Justin, thanks for answering my question!
>
> But I think those two packages do not serve me. Because "g_sgangle"
> calculates the angle only for a group of 2 or 3 atoms. I have 120 phosphors
> and 120 nitrogen. Therefore, I have 120 PN vectors. The other package,
> g_angle, requires 3 atoms to calculate the angle.

You have 120 pairs of 2 atoms, therefore 120 calculations to perform.  What
you're probably interested in is the average P-N angle with respect to z, as
well as their distribution.  Loop over 120 calculations and you have a wealth of
information that can be compared to experimental values.

-Justin

> I need to calculate the angle that the 120 PN vectors make with respect to
> the normal one of the lipid bilayer.
>
> If I'm wrong I could correct myself!
>
> Thank you again!

> Ezequiel Nazareno Frigini
> Lic. en Biología Molecular
> Grupo de Bioinformática Estructural
> bios.unsl.edu.ar
>
> Instituto de Matemática Aplicada San Luis, IMASL.
> Universidad Nacional de San Luis - CONICET.
> Calle Ejercito de Los Andes 950
> D5700HHW San Luis. Argentina.
>
> Tel: +54 266 4520300 int. 3046

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences