[gmx-users] Fwd: LJ cut-offs

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 11 19:19:26 CET 2017

On 1/11/17 12:46 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for your comments. My question was exactly what Dawid clarified.
> Sure, I will read those as you suggested.
>
> Dawid, regarding this:
> "You need to keep in mind however that each force field was optimized for
> given set of cut-offs and
> they virtually become part of that FF (just like FF formula and
> parameters), so it is strongly recommended
> not to change them"
>
> I agree. BUT, using charmm36 in gromacs or other software requires to
> change some critical parameters like cut-offs to get a better agreements
> with experiments as well as with simulations done with charmm/NAMD.
> This is why.

As of version GROMACS 5.1, after which a small bug in force-switching was fixed
(see the link that Tom posted), this should not be true.  The settings listed in
the GROMACS website for CHARMM36 should correctly reproduce what people do in
NAMD or CHARMM using the same cutoffs.  We did a lot of work to make sure this
was the case.  Cutoffs are a function of the force field, not the software.

For a pure membrane, there is a valid comparison to be made between 0.8/1.2 and
1.0/1.2 switching as Tom has noted, but for a membrane protein 1.0/1.2 is what
you should use (and from data I have collected and seen, the differences between
the two switching ranges are small, in any case).

-Justin

> Cheers
> Mohsen
>
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 5:54 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 1/10/17 10:40 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
>>
>>> Dear gromacs users,
>>>
>>> Please let me know your opinion on the following question:
>>> Thanks in advance for your comments
>>>

>> dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcc.21287
>>
>> While that paper (obviously) focuses on CHARMM, there is a vast amount of
>> general MD information described in it, as well as cited literature.  The
>> section on nonbonded interactions probably addresses most of what you want
>> to know.
>>
>> -Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences