[gmx-users] Fwd: LJ cut-offs

Mohsen Ramezanpour ramezanpour.mohsen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:57:44 CET 2017

Thanks Justin,

Good to know. I used version 5.0 as Lee et al. 2015.

I agree with you in general about keeping cut-offs the same.

My systems are pure PS lipid membranes.

The study by Klauda in 2016 shows that the higher order in PS membranes
might be because of PS-PS or PS-K+ interactions.
However, this was not done in Gromacs.
This order was intensified when I used Gromacs (version 5.0, though). I
will do with 5.1.* to see how it improves (hope it works).

If PS-PS and PS-K+ interactions are not well defined, which results in
higher order parameters, what would be a good solution for it?
1) reparameterization of PS lipids
2) reparameterization of PS-cationic ions interactions
3) possibly changing the cut-offs, say, 8-10 A.

What do you think for this specific case (PS lipids)?

Thanks

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 1/11/17 12:46 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Thanks for your comments. My question was exactly what Dawid clarified.
>> Sure, I will read those as you suggested.
>>
>> Dawid, regarding this:
>> "You need to keep in mind however that each force field was optimized for
>> given set of cut-offs and
>> they virtually become part of that FF (just like FF formula and
>> parameters), so it is strongly recommended
>> not to change them"
>>
>> I agree. BUT, using charmm36 in gromacs or other software requires to
>> change some critical parameters like cut-offs to get a better agreements
>> with experiments as well as with simulations done with charmm/NAMD.
>> This is why.
>>

> As of version GROMACS 5.1, after which a small bug in force-switching was
> fixed (see the link that Tom posted), this should not be true.  The
> settings listed in the GROMACS website for CHARMM36 should correctly
> reproduce what people do in NAMD or CHARMM using the same cutoffs.  We did
> a lot of work to make sure this was the case.  Cutoffs are a function of
> the force field, not the software.
>
> For a pure membrane, there is a valid comparison to be made between
> 0.8/1.2 and 1.0/1.2 switching as Tom has noted, but for a membrane protein
> 1.0/1.2 is what you should use (and from data I have collected and seen,
> the differences between the two switching ranges are small, in any case).
>
> -Justin
>

> Cheers
>> Mohsen
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 5:54 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 1/10/17 10:40 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear gromacs users,

>>> While that paper (obviously) focuses on CHARMM, there is a vast amount of
>>> general MD information described in it, as well as cited literature.  The
>>> section on nonbonded interactions probably addresses most of what you
>>> want
>>> to know.
>>>
>>> -Justin

*Rewards work better than punishment ...*