[gmx-users] dihedral MM scan

Mohsen Ramezanpour ramezanpour.mohsen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 06:30:33 CET 2017

Regarding the CGenFF article by Vanommeslaeghe et al. (2009):

It is mentioned that:

"... are correlated, as are their parameters. In such cases, the individual
dihedrals are still scanned at the QM level with all other degrees of
freedom, including other dihedrals that have to be fit allowed to relax.
However, when scanning the corresponding MM surfaces for a given dihedral *it
is necessary* that the remaining dihedrals associated with parameters that
are being fit *be restrained in the QM optimized structures from the QM PES*.
The use of these additional restraints assures that the energy
contributions from those dihedrals are taken into account when performing
the fitting" (Vanommeslaeghe et al. (2009))

When I did the MM scanning, I ignored the other associated dihedrals (some
of them were highly correlated) which are in their local minima in QM
scanning. However, I did an EM step with a tolerance of 50 and I assumed
that those associated dihedrals will go into their local minima which
should be similar with QM case.

If I understood correctly from this article, I should use exactly the QM
optimized structure for each specific angle, and apply restraints to all of
them (except the one that I am trying to scan) during zero-step MD energy
calculation. That being said, taking the structure from that and
restraining, I do not need the EM step by MM force field any more. Is this
right?

Thanks in advance for your opinion
Cheers
Mohsen