[gmx-users] Why should I update my Gromacs to v. 5.x?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 11:37:52 CET 2017

Hi,

There's bugs in all old versions, and we stop fixing them in a major
version after a year or two (and you aren't getting those fixes in 4.6.6 or
4.6.7, either). Whether that matters is up to you and the
http://www.gromacs.org/About_Gromacs/Release_Notes. (Sadly, that isn't fun
reading.) Similarly, the new features in each major version are described
there for them. There's been numerous noteworthy enhancements to CPU
threading and SIMD support, but what benefits you get depend on what you
simulate, on what hardware, and the extent to which your performance is
dominated by aspects that run single-threaded (ie PLUMED). See also
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352711015000059

Mark