[gmx-users] ACETONITRILE with CHARM ff

Sonia Milena Aguilera Segura sonia-milena.aguilera-segura at enscm.fr
Wed Jul 12 14:57:32 CEST 2017

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:57:05 -0400
> From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
> > Moreover, I observed that this time I got lower values for P during the NPT
> > equilibration, but still is too far from 1 bar.  I really don't understand
> > why for the NVT simulation I get a T around 298, but as soon as I turn on
> > the pcoupl, the T rises to 300-301 K and the P gets average values of 7
> > and 4 bar (vs 8 and 14 for the previous simulations). Then at the end of
> > the 1-ns MD the temperature remains around 301 and the P is -1 and 2.7
> > bar. Considering the parameters I am using, is there anything I can change
> > to make the P coupling better? I am running a 3 nm box with 308 molecules.
> > This is the full mdp file:
> >

> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure
>
> Your box is very small and will be subject to large fluctuations.

Dear Justin,

I increased the size of the simulation box to 4 nm. Indeed, the values of pressure improved (averages around -1 bar or 1.5, 2 bar, or so). However, the T keeps being overestimated (302 K). During NVT I got the right value, so I decided to run the 200 ns NPT equilibration with Berendsen barostat instead of P-R. I got the right T value, around 298.3 and a pressure of 1.5 more or less. Then I launched a continuation test with 200 ps MD with P-R (I couldn't use the -e option because it gives me the error Could not find energy term named 'Box-Vel-XX', moreover, I didn't use P-R before so I guess I shouldn't expect stored values for it?. But I am using -t ). Despite I got low pressure averages around 0.5 bar, the temperature raised again to 301-302. This happens very early in the simulation, which seems to indicate that for sd integrator/thermostat and P-R barostat there is something going on. I am getting practically the same density in between simulation, so I guess I can say that in term of P, the system has been equilibrated. However, what can I do to get the right T for this system? If I was able to get the right T with Berendsen barostat, I don't understand what's wrong when I change to P-R.

Thank you in advance,

Sonia Aguilera
PhD student
ENSCM