[gmx-users] Periodic Molecule's Free Energy Calculation Error

Jason Zhu jasonzhu925 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 02:43:29 CEST 2017

Dear Alex,

Many thanks for your replies and helping.

I totally agree with your comments about infinite molecules and periodic
boundary condition.

Here in our simulations, the hBN sheet covers the box dimensions (6nm*6nm)
without free edges. By using PBC and "periodic-molecules = yes", we could
calculate the surface energy of hBN sheet without effects of edges.

The parameters of force field we are using are borrowed from the following
papers. We introduced them into the Gromos force field. We are having a new
publication using this modified force field in which all the parameters are
shown explicitly. I could send it to you when it is published online. The
functions and parameters are fitted by the setting of "nrexcl=3" in these
papers. We couldn't make any changes for this. But we could try to use
larger value of "nrexcl" to fit the force field of hBN and include
short-range non-bonded interactions into bonded interactions. Thank you for
your suggestions.

1. Hilder, T. A. et al. Validity of current force fields for simulations on
boron nitride nanotubes. IET Micro & Nano Letters 5, 150-156,
doi:10.1049/mnl.2009.0112 (2010).

2. Kamath, G. & Baker, G. A. Are ionic liquids suitable media for boron
nitride exfoliation and dispersion? Insight via molecular dynamics. RSC
Advances 3, 8197-8202, doi:10.1039/c3ra40488a (2013).

3. Wu, J., Wang, B., Wei, Y., Yang, R. & Dresselhaus, M. Mechanics and
Mechanically Tunable Band Gap in Single-Layer Hexagonal Boron-Nitride.
Materials Research Letters 1, 200-206, doi:10.1080/21663831.2013.824516
(2013).

Best,
Jason

Message: 5