[gmx-users] Periodic Molecule's Free Energy Calculation Error

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 08:44:24 CEST 2017

Hi Jason,

I didn't have time to look at all of those papers, but look for instance
at eq. (2) in Hilder et al's paper and the definition of the f_dmp
function on the right -- this tapers off short-range interactions for
close neighbors. I am not sure if this particular function results in
any serious difference (I think, given the value of R_r, it was designed
pretty much exactly to remove all nonbonded interactions closer than
second neighbor), but the point is that Gromacs doesn't use anything
like this. As a result, many things cannot be translated into Gromacs
FFs "as is," requiring a fairly broad range of effort from mild
tinkering all the way to complete reparameterization.. Even then the
best one can hope for with Gromacs when applied to the actual properties
of crystals is structure stability and correct bond lengths -- nothing
beyond that. This is really more of a general comment, because more and
more people are trying to simulate solid-state structures with Gromacs.

Best of luck!

Alex