[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling and PMF calculations

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 00:35:31 CEST 2017

> You have a membrane with water on either side, yes?  That's a layered
> system.
>
> But frankly, at this point I don't follow at all what you're trying to do.
>
> -

Let me try from the beginning. :)
A membrane in XY, water on both sides. At the center of the membrane, there
is a geometrically symmetric hole. A series of configurations exists,
starting with the ion at +Z_0 above the membrane (along Z) and ending at
-Z_0 below, only the Z coordinate is varying here. The center of the hole
and the XY-position of the ion are very close, i.e. things are aligned (the
series of configurations was generated in a pull simulation with the ion
restrained in XY and pulled along Z). The goal is to find the free energy
associated with ion's binding to the interior of the hole in membrane,
nothing else. I can share the trajectory (without -sep), but only
privately. Does this make sense?

Is there any reason you think I _cannot_ use your approach pretty much
directly?

Thanks,

Alex