[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling and PMF calculations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 2 12:39:04 CEST 2017

On 6/1/17 6:35 PM, Alex wrote:

>> You have a membrane with water on either side, yes?  That's a layered
>> system.
>>
>> But frankly, at this point I don't follow at all what you're trying to do.
>>
>> -
>
> Let me try from the beginning. :)
> A membrane in XY, water on both sides. At the center of the membrane, there
> is a geometrically symmetric hole. A series of configurations exists,
> starting with the ion at +Z_0 above the membrane (along Z) and ending at
> -Z_0 below, only the Z coordinate is varying here. The center of the hole
> and the XY-position of the ion are very close, i.e. things are aligned (the
> series of configurations was generated in a pull simulation with the ion
> restrained in XY and pulled along Z). The goal is to find the free energy
> associated with ion's binding to the interior of the hole in membrane,
> nothing else. I can share the trajectory (without -sep), but only
> privately. Does this make sense?
>
> Is there any reason you think I _cannot_ use your approach pretty much
> directly?

Yes, because if your ion diffuses laterally (or whatever constitutes your
"hole"), then you're not sampling what you think you're sampling.  That's what
the cylinder geometry is for.  You have a system capable of significant lateral
movement, so if you fail to apply a bias that acts in the x-y plane, your
results are very quickly going to become garbage.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore