[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling and PMF calculations

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 19:26:11 CEST 2017

> Yes, because if your ion diffuses laterally (or whatever constitutes
> your "hole"), then you're not sampling what you think you're
> sampling.  That's what the cylinder geometry is for.  You have a
> system capable of significant lateral movement, so if you fail to
> apply a bias that acts in the x-y plane, your results are very quickly
> going to become garbage.
>
> -Justin

Of course. I actually realized that you used COM distance and not e.g.
direction-periodic (which won't accept zero pulling rates anyway) only
after I asked.
Specifying somewhat awkward structures like disks as references could be
avoided by simply allowing a component of the COM distance vector and
not the entire vector) to be used. Anyway, doesn't really matter.

Thanks,

Alex