[gmx-users] Randomly replace molecules with another molecule

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 2 23:31:08 CEST 2017

On 6/2/17 3:51 PM, Li, Shi wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I am wondering if there is a better way to randomly replace some molecules
> in a system box with another type of molecule. For example, I have a system
> with 1000 molecule A as the solvent and I have another molecule B as the
> solute. I want to generate a series of systems with different concentration
> of B. Is there some gmx command to do that?
>
> I tried to use gmx insert-molecuels, but then I will need to first create a
> series of system A in order to insert different number of B.
> I don't know if gmx genion could do that or not, as I tried to use this but
> I am not sure how to make the replacement with B as both of them are charge
> neutral.
>
> If you have a better solution. Please let me know! Thank you!

GROMACS does not have the ability to replace waters with molecules.  Determine
the number of B that are needed in a given volume for a given concentration,
insert with gmx insert-molecules, then solvate with A using gmx solvate.  No
replacement necessary, and the math is trivial.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore