[gmx-users] Doubt about Free Energy Calculations using g_bar

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jun 11 03:31:36 CEST 2017

On 6/10/17 6:15 AM, Varvdekar Bhagyesh Rajendra wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Just so we are on the same page, this means that if I don't touch the topology file and use the following mdp snippet, charges *are present* in the topology file for the ligand group and they are automatically set to zero while turning on vdW interactions (from 0 to 1) right ? Hence, there is no need to manually set charges to zero (The old style of doing the calculations), right?.

Yes.  You can easily confirm this using energygrps between your transformed
molecule and the rest of the system.  Coul-SR should be zero.

> Then the charges too, are turned off from 0 to 1? (1 state being the actual charges present in the topology file).

Charges are turned *on* if they are defined as off in the A-state (lambda=0) and
on in the B-state (lambda=1).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629