[gmx-users] non-bonded sigma for amino nitrogen–carboxylate oxygen interactions in OPLSAA in GROMACS

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 21 16:46:21 CEST 2017

On 6/21/17 10:39 AM, gozde ergin wrote:
> Hi MArk,
>
> Thanks for the respond. I understood that point however I still do not get which sigma to change.
> I the paper JCTC 2017, Miller et. al. they have mentioned that they increase the for nitrogen–carboxylate oxygen interactions in OPLSAA.
> However there are two sigma in oplsaa.ff/ffnonbonded.itp one for amino notrogen and one for carboxylate oxygen.
>
>                                                                                sigma            epsilon
>   opls_287   N3   7  14.00670    -0.300       A    3.25000e-01  7.11280e-01
>   opls_272   O2   8  15.99940    -0.800       A    2.96000e-01  8.78640e-01
>
> Which one defines the amino nitrogen–carboxylate oxygen interactions?
> Which sigma should I change?

What people are doing more and more is introducing pair-specific parameters to
override the combination rule values.  That's likely what is being referred to.
OPLS-AA by default does not use pair-specific LJ interactions, hence why you
find no [nonbond_params] in ffnonbonded.itp.  The same is true of AMBER.  CHARMM
uses some (also called NBFIX in the literature), while GROMOS uses a ton of these.

To override the LJ combination rules, add a [nonbond_params] directive with the
published parameters, which refer to an *interaction*, not an atom type.

-Justin

> Thanks
>> On 21 Jun 2017, at 16:21, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Different force fields work differently and thus are implemented
>> differently. Look at oplsaa.ff/ffnonbonded.itp and you will see that sigma
>> is a property of the atomtype
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 4:16 PM gozde ergin <gozdeeergin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear users,
>>>
>>> I am trying to change the sigma value of amino nitrogen–carboxylate oxygen
>>> interactions in OPLSAA in GROMACS.
>>> However I have difficulties to understand which parameter i should change
>>> in ffnonbonded.itp file?
>>> I am looking something like [ nonbond_params ] section however it is not
>>> exist in ffnonbonded.itp?
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> --