[gmx-users] Doubt about Free Energy control Minimization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 27 15:12:46 CEST 2017

On 6/26/17 9:09 AM, Varvdekar Bhagyesh Rajendra wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> I have encountered the following warning when I used the following code to minimize my protein-ligand system when the interaction potential energy between the protein and the ligand are multiplied by 0.9, 0.8, 0.7,..., 0.2, 0.1.
>
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/free_energy/Files/em_steep.mdp
>
> Warning: 1-4 interaction between 2263 and 2298 at distance 1.004 which is larger than the 1-4 table size 1.000 nm
> These are ignored for the rest of the simulation
> This usually means your system is exploding,
> if not, you should increase table-extension in your mdp file
> or with user tables increase the table size
>

> I suppose this error is due to setting couple-intramol = no. When it is set to yes, the warning vanishes.
>
> But, this is my desired setting since, I do not intend to scale the intra molecular interactions even though the ligand is a peptide. Is it reasonable to ignore the warning. If not , how can it affect my resulting structure ? And are all such interaction "ignored for the rest of the simulation" ?

So the system is unstable.  Try minimizing with full interactions before doing
anything funny with scaling.  And I repeat my caution to you that trying to do
an alchemical transformation of a peptide is a very unwise choice.  You'll never
get the simulations to converge in a practical amount of time.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore