[gmx-users] Parameterizing Acetylated lysine: need for impropers?

Ramon Crehuet ramon.crehuet at iqac.csic.es
Tue May 9 16:42:14 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I am trying to adapt to Gromacs the parameters of acetylated lysine from 2 sources.

First from http://ares.tamu.edu/FFPTM/ This webpage gives parameters in AMBER format. I've created a new residue in aminoacids.rtp coying the data from the Amber file. The Amber file contains the following impropers:

IMPROPER
CA H N -M
CH CE NZ HZ
CH3 NZ CH OH
CA O C +M

Which I translated in aminoacids.rtp to:

[ impropers ]
-C CA N H
CH CE NZ HZ
CH3 NZ CH OH
CA +N C O

I guess that is correct.

The second source is this paper: http://www.cell.com/biophysj/fulltext/S0006-3495(08)70325-4 It reports the point charges but states: " The partial charges are summarized in Table 1 . The backbone torsion parameters are the same as those of the natural lysine residue in the ff03 force field."

My question is the following: does that mean that I should not include the previous impropers for this parameterization? After all, the residue topology and atom types are the same as before...

All the best,

Ramon