[gmx-users] A simple question

Alex alexanderwien2k at gmail.com
Wed May 10 22:42:21 CEST 2017

Here are the results, p,s and w are representing a peptide, solid surface
and water, respectively.

Utot = -1340400

us = -1.0173e+06
uw = -382847
up = -805.9
usw = -1.42594e+06
ups = -1.0189e+06
upw = -385347

one combination: (1) \sum uxy = us + uw + up + usw + ups + upw =
-4231139.9  --> \Delta = + 2890739.9

I though that the each of us, uw, up, are being double counted in the (1),

So, I subtracted out them in (2), the result is a bit closer, but still:

(2) : us + uw + up + usw + ups + upw - 2*(us + uw + up) = -1429234.10   -->
\Delta = + 88834.10

Although, there is also a single Na counter-ion in the soup, but the effect
if that can not really compensate the difference: (u_ion = -13.5205 and
u_ionp = -827.121)

In general what should be the right relation between the total internal
energy of a system and internal energies of its constructive segments?

Thanks
Alex