[gmx-users] A simple question

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 10 22:47:53 CEST 2017

On 5/10/17 4:41 PM, Alex wrote:
> Here are the results, p,s and w are representing a peptide, solid surface
> and water, respectively.
>
> Utot = -1340400
>
> us = -1.0173e+06
> uw = -382847
> up = -805.9
> usw = -1.42594e+06
> ups = -1.0189e+06
> upw = -385347

You're definitely getting double-counting here with the intramolecular nonbonded
interactions.  Note that both usw and ups are nearly the same as Utot.  The
total energy of a solid-water and peptide-solid system will have such overlap.
The total of us + uw + up + (nonbonded energy *only* between usp, ups, upw)
should roughly sum to Utot.

-Justin