[gmx-users] Using CHARMM36 in GROMACS to simulate polysaccharides

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri May 19 13:47:44 CEST 2017

On 5/18/17 6:35 PM, Mohammad Hassan Khatami wrote:
> Thanks Justin.
> I have tried the CHARMM-GUI but it crashed. I might need to modify the order of the atoms in my PDB file, which I have created using GLYCAM-Web GUI. I have downloaded the “toppar_c36_feb16” but I did not find a manual on how to apply them (any suggestions?), so it did not go far.

What you need to do depends on linkages.  There are patches (PRES in CHARMM .rtf
files) that tell you how each residue is manipulated in the case of a patch;
refer to the CHARMM documentation online for specifics.  The file you'll need is
top_all36_carb.rtf.

Otherwise, use the force field files as a template to rename your input
structure so CHARMM-GUI can process it.  This is probably the much faster route.

-Justin

> I'll play with these two, and I'll be back.
> MH
>> On May 18, 2017, at 5:08 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On 5/18/17 4:57 PM, Mohammad Hassan Khatami wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to run simulations on alpha-D-glucose polymers. I have done these simulations using AMBER and I am wondering if it is possible to run them employing CHARMM36 in GROMACS, as well?
>>> It seams that CHARMM36 in GROMACS has only implemented monomers of alpha-D-glucose as ”AGLC”. Is there a way to introduce the whole polymer to the GROMACS?
>>>

>> Sure, you can treat it like any polymer, but you'll have to create the internal monomer residues yourself from the patches in the original CHARMM force field files.
>>
>> Or try CHARMM-GUI; it should handle what you need and give you all the necessary GROMACS inputs.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy